- Provides a fantastic interesting architectural feature with its undulating appearance
- No mow lawn.
- Wonderful for difficult to mow slopes
- Use in rockeries as a striking groundcover
- Will grow in shadier areas where usual grasses struggle
- Great around the base of specimen trees in a courtyard
- Fantastic between pavers forming a low growing, green mat that softens the hardscape
- Perfect for green roofs or rooftop gardens
- The low gentle mounding effect suits Japanese style gardens.
- Low maintenance is great for commercial areas
- In pots or garden beds as an alternative living mulch.
There are some reports of Zoysia tenuifolia not being good for traffic as it is so slow in growing. The issue is usually the poor quality of the media in which the plants are growing. When established in a good depth (100-200mm) of quality, friable media, the plants handle moderate traffic well, actually becoming lower and denser with pressure making it an ideal alternative lawn for average household use.
Due to the slow growth rate, growing Zoysia tenuifolia from pots or plugs can take a long time to achieve total coverage and you may have to undertake weeding between the plants.
This is where our Plant Tiles work wonderfully as we have done the hard work for you. No digging holes and waiting for pots to grow together. You can just place the Plant Tiles next to each other on your prepared media to achieve instant full coverage!
The Plant Tiles are only 22mm in depth so will require frequent small waterings until the roots penetrate the media on which they are placed. A fertiliser such as Seasol is useful to encourage root growth. Once established, water more deeply and less frequently.